Saturday, February 27, 2010

IT'S SATURDAY...IT MUST BE A TSUNAMI

The tsunami siren went off at 6am but we were already getting ORION ready to leave the harbor. So were 100+ other boats.
Immediately the phone lines were jammed but we were too busy to talk...until we got 6 miles off shore and were watching dophins and whales and birds.
The all clear sounded and we all came back... Those behind us... And those ahead of us...

When we finally got back to our slip the tsunami was still surging and ebbing...
Keep in mind there is no way to predict exactly how big the tsunami waves are.
Better to be safe than sorry.
And that was MY weekend...

13 comments:

Dawn Anon said...

Glad you, yours, and Orion are safe and sound. You were in my thoughts.

Bookfool said...

Better safe than sorry, definitely. So glad you're all okay and the tsunami wasn't the big, scary surge it could have been.

June Kramin said...

I was thinking of you but I knew if you went out to sea, all would be well. Glad it turned out to be nothing. It was actually fun watching Hawaii news again & seeing the familiar faces still there! ((hugs))
ab

Gay said...

Glad you were OK. You were the first person I thought of when I heard about the warning for Hawaii. All my other Hawaiian friends live well inland (I think).

Heidi Willis said...

Glad you were safe!!

ORION said...

And the time lapse video on CNN is NOT Hilo...it's Ala Moana beach park just down from Waikiki lol!

dvadnais said...

Paul wanted me to call right away, but I knew it would be pointless. I was you would be ontop of the situation and footage of all the boats off shore looked about right. So glad it was an event of interest but no damage. Stay safe.

Holly Kennedy said...

So glad you guys are safe, Pat.

pierre l said...

Very pleased that you were both sensible and safe.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Whew!

Bernita said...

Thought of you as soon as they mentioned tsuami.
So glad Hawaii have a proper warning system.

Les said...

I'm so glad it turned out to be much ado about nuthin'! I was watching the news (ok, listening to it online) for what seemed like hours. We've got relatives on the big island and up in Hana.

Margaret said...

Tsunami on the morning after our one night out in four months-- I knew that would cause a rift in the universe.
I thought about you and worried about how your cats were taking it. I knew the humans would be ok:)